Saturday, August 20, 2011

Maine



It's the Monday morning after the Mainely Grillin' & Chillin' competition in Eliot, ME and looking outside from my window all I can see is sheets of rain coming down. And it dawns on me on just how lucky I am...

Early on in the week the forecast was rain for Sunday. But as the weekend marched on the rain held off. It was cloudy for most of the day but the rain didn't start to come down until our drive home. That might not seem like a huge deal to some, but for us on the BBQ Circuit packing up our gear when it's raining just plain sucks. But, that wasn't the luckiest part of my weekend. Getting to hang out with our friends this weekend and meeting a few new ones. Eating oysters, cured meats, fine cheeses, Pimientos de Padron, and chicken and waffles. Drinking Harpoon, La Fin Du Monde, and many, many Jack Daniel's shots at all hours of the night...and the morning. All of these things were great! But, not the luckiest part of my weekend. An hour before driving home Lakeside Smokers were announced as Grand Champions of the event. Our friends from Feeding Friendz were called for Reserve Grand Champs. After we congratulated each other with accolades and hugs we received our score sheets and found out we had the same score! 666.8566! Unbelievable! We all know there are several procedures in place for such a thing. Bringing back the dropped score, using just the taste scores, and so on. Talking to one of the KCBS Reps he said that he had never seen the scoring so close before. But, even that wasn't the luckiest part of my weekend.

But, sharing all of this - the friends, the love of fine food and drink, the great times, and the feeling of accomplishment - with my wife Kris was not only the luckiest part of my weekend, but was also the best part of my weekend.

No comments: